Runboard.com
You're welcome.

runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2 

 
Smfc fildes Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 04-2016
Posts: 2925
Karma: -200 (+64/-264)
Reply | Quote
European super league


RIP football.

---
You mooors
18/Apr/2021, 6:01 pm Link to this post Send Email to Smfc fildes   Send PM to Smfc fildes Blog
 
Statto Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 04-2003
Location: On my computer
Posts: 3895
Karma: 24 (+70/-46)
Reply | Quote
Re: European super league


quote:

Smfc fildes wrote:

RIP football.



They said the same when teams resigned from the Football League to form the Premier League.

Not a fan of it, but mind you I am not a big fan of the Champions League. As an old git, I preferred the old European Cup.

I am sure that if English clubs wish to play in external competitions, they need permission from the FA. I hope the FA and Premier League tell the teams that if they wish to join the European Super League, then they need to resign from the FA and the Premier League.

---
Living The Dream
18/Apr/2021, 11:06 pm Link to this post Send Email to Statto   Send PM to Statto
 
Smfc fildes Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 04-2016
Posts: 2925
Karma: -200 (+64/-264)
Reply | Quote
Re: European super league


quote:

Statto wrote:

quote:

Smfc fildes wrote:

RIP football.



They said the same when teams resigned from the Football League to form the Premier League.

Not a fan of it, but mind you I am not a big fan of the Champions League. As an old git, I preferred the old European Cup.

I am sure that if English clubs wish to play in external competitions, they need permission from the FA. I hope the FA and Premier League tell the teams that if they wish to join the European Super League, then they need to resign from the FA and the Premier League.




Everything is up in the air tonight. The statement has been made on behalf of all 15 clubs who are joining.

Last edited by Smfc fildes, 19/Apr/2021, 12:46 am


---
You mooors
19/Apr/2021, 12:23 am Link to this post Send Email to Smfc fildes   Send PM to Smfc fildes Blog
 
Griff79 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 01-2015
Posts: 517
Karma: 4 (+8/-4)
Reply | Quote
Re: European super league


I’m with you Stat, bring back the European Cup and Cup Winners Cup, balls to progress😆😆

This is purely about greed, nothing to do with football.
19/Apr/2021, 9:34 am Link to this post Send Email to Griff79   Send PM to Griff79 Blog
 
Smfc fildes Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 04-2016
Posts: 2925
Karma: -200 (+64/-264)
Reply | Quote
Re: European super league


Mourinho has just been sacked. Reports are saying that he refused to train the team. After the super league news


---
You mooors
19/Apr/2021, 9:39 am Link to this post Send Email to Smfc fildes   Send PM to Smfc fildes Blog
 
Ojiveojive Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Head Administrator

Registered: 09-2004
Location: Moseley
Posts: 6872
Karma: 50 (+105/-55)
Reply | Quote
Re: European super league


The move towards a European Super League has absolutely nothing to do with football as a sport and everything to do with business stability for the owners. Having put their money into clubs, the owners are not prepared to risk losing any as a result of bad luck, bad management, indeed rewarding bad management, whether on the pitch or in the boardroom, with the security of knowing that their income stream will be maintained. This is similar to the American Football model without relegation for the main fifteen, plus allowing for potential promotion for five excluded clubs that will be cherry picked and invited to join according to their performances the previous season, purely as a pretence to less well financed clubs that they might be able to compete with the 'elite' and thereby theoretically increase their own income streams.

Last edited by Ojiveojive, 19/Apr/2021, 12:46 pm


---
What a looooooooooong strange trip it's been
19/Apr/2021, 10:25 am Link to this post Send Email to Ojiveojive   Send PM to Ojiveojive
 
Smfc fildes Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 04-2016
Posts: 2925
Karma: -200 (+64/-264)
Reply | Quote
Re: European super league


quote:

Ojiveojive wrote:

The move towards a European Super League has absolutely nothing to do with football as a sport and everything to do with business stability for the owners. Having put their money into clubs, the owners are not prepared to risk losing any as a result of bad luck, bad management, indeed rewarding bad management, whether on the pitch or in the boardroom, with the security of knowing that their income stream will be maintained. This is similar to the American Football model without relegation for the main fifteen, plus allowing for potential promotion for five excluded clubs that will be cherry picked and invited to join according to their performances the previous season, purely as a pretence to less well financed clubs that they might be able to compete with the 'elite' and thereby theoretically increase their income own streams.





Yes clive it's all about money money money.

MNF is going to be very interesting tonight. Almost box office viewing with carragher and neville. Also liverpool are playing. I hope leeds spunk all over them tonight I really do.

Last edited by Ojiveojive, 19/Apr/2021, 12:44 pm


---
You mooors
19/Apr/2021, 12:07 pm Link to this post Send Email to Smfc fildes   Send PM to Smfc fildes Blog
 
M00R5 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 06-2009
Posts: 4059
Karma: 0 (+104/-104)
Reply | Quote
Re: European super league


All new leagues have been breakaways from the old order in order to bring in more money for the clubs involved.

The Football League was founded because the FA stopped opposing professionalism in the face of several clubs repeatedly circumventing the rules against it with gifts, incentives, etc. A couple of years later Aston Villa appointed themselves leaders of pro clubs who wanted to make more money and so hand-picked other clubs they liked and formed a league together.

The Alliance was set up by other pro clubs as the FL was a closed shop. The FL absorbed them as Division Two in the interest of protecting and strengthening their closed shop rather than any sporting reasons. Indeed, as a closed organisation, they were free to reject any of the Alliance clubs they liked. The reason there is a Birmingham City today but not a Birmingham St George's is because the Football League decided they preferred Small Heath Alliance and didn't want two more Birmingham clubs so as not to concentrate too many members from similar areas. Shut out of the professional system, St George's closed down.

Of course the European Super League is a horrendous, unwelcome idea, predicated on greed. However these self-appointed superclubs are not doing anything new that clubs haven't tried to pull from the beginnings of professionalism. In the case of the EFL and Premier League, they were rewarded for it and those two organisations still hold huge sway and set their own rules. Why are we chasing only two promotion slots from the National League, for example...

In this case, national FAs, UEFA, and FIFA seem to be forming a strong United front against the project. These fifteen clubs will suddenly find things very difficult if their national registration is stripped, their players facing bans if they compete, and contracts probably null and void to allow all those assets to disappear for free.
19/Apr/2021, 1:10 pm Link to this post Send Email to M00R5   Send PM to M00R5
 
bolda Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 10-2017
Location: Shirley
Posts: 749
Karma: 6 (+13/-7)
Reply | Quote
Re: European super league


It's a terrible idea. One aspect that gets up my nose is that they are calling it "European Super League". There are 12 teams from 3 countries, 3 teams are from London, two are from Milan, two are from Madrid and two are from Manchester. I know they're going to invite a few more teams to join them but please don't have the arrogance to call this a "European" super league.
20/Apr/2021, 9:12 am Link to this post Send Email to bolda   Send PM to bolda Blog
 
Ojiveojive Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Head Administrator

Registered: 09-2004
Location: Moseley
Posts: 6872
Karma: 50 (+105/-55)
Reply | Quote
Re: European super league


quote:

M00R5 wrote:

Why are we chasing only two promotion slots from the National League, for example...




Because we are regarded as second class by the governing body of the EFL and the FA. I'd love to see a non-league European cup though!

---
What a looooooooooong strange trip it's been
20/Apr/2021, 10:55 am Link to this post Send Email to Ojiveojive   Send PM to Ojiveojive
 


Add a reply

Page:  1  2 





You are not logged in (login)